Areas of Teaching Interest
Communication Systems, Spread Spectrum Communications, Positioning Systems, Healthcare Communication
Areas of Research Interest
Fast Algorithms, Positioning and Navigation Algorithms, GPS, Galileo, Kalman filtering, CDMA acquisition techniques, Digital Signal and Image Processing, Signal Processing for Communications, dedicated hardware oriented algorithms, parallel calculations and architectures, Transforms, Discrete Fourier Transform, Filterbanks, Wavelet theory
Ph.D., Tampere University of Technology, Finalnd. 1997
Selected Publications & Patents
- A. Panchul, D. Akopian, M. Jamshidi, “Temporal-Spatial Fuzzy Logic Algorithm for Effective Dynamic Load Balancing in Distributed 3D Graphics Engine,” International Journal of System of Systems Engineering, Vol. 2, No. 4, pp. 309-328, 2012
- D. Akopian, A. Melkonyan, C.L.P. Chen, "Validation of HDOP Measure for Impact Detection in Sensor Network-Based Structural Health Monitoring" IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 9, No 9, Sept. 2009, pp.1098 –1102
- D. Akopian, J. Syrjarinne, "A Fast Positioning Method Without Navigation Data Decoding for Assisted GPS Receivers," IEEE Trans. on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 58, No. 8, Oct. 2009, pp. 4640 – 4645.
- C. Lacatus, P. Yaddanapudi, D. Akopian, M. Shadaram, “Dynamic spectrum and power allocation for unlicensed wireless systems,” IEEE Systems Journal, Vol. 3, No. 2, June 2009, pp. 254-264.
- C. Lacatus, D. Akopian, M. Shadaram, “Reduced complexity for optimal spreading sequence design,” in press, IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems, 2008.
- P. Sagiraju, G.V.S. Raju, D. Akopian, “Fast acquisition implementation for high sensitivity global positioning system receivers based on joint and reduced space search,” IEE Proceedings on Radar, Sonar, and Navigation, Vol. 2, No. 5, Oct. 2008 pp. 376 – 387 (available at ieeexplore.ieee.org)
- C. Smith, S. Agaian, D. Akopian, “A wavelet-denoising approach using polynomial threshold operators,” IEEE Signal Processing Letters, Vol. 15, 2008, pp. 906 – 909
- D. Akopian and S. Agaian, “A fast time-recursive correlator for DSSS systems,” IEEE Signal Processing Letters, Vol. 15, 2008, pp. 589 – 592
- D. Akopian, “On optimal bit allocation for classification-based source-dependent transform coding,” Research Letters in Signal Processing, vol. 2008, ID 421650. (available at www.hindawi.com)
- D. Akopian and S. Agaian, “Fast matched Filters in Time Domain,” IEE Proceedings on Radar, Sonar & Navigation, vol 153, No.6, Dec 2006, pp. 525-531. (available at ieeexplore.ieee.org)
- P. Sagiraju, S. Agaian, D. Akopian, “A Reduced Complexity Acquisition of GPS Signals for Software Embedded Applications” IEE Proceedings on Radar, Sonar & Navigation, Vol. 153, No.1, Feb 2006, pp. 69-78. (available at ieeexplore.ieee.org)
- D. Akopian, “Fast FFT Based GPS Satellite Acquisition Methods” IEE Proceedings on Radar, Sonar & Navigation, Vol. 152, No. 4, August 2005, pp. 277-286. (available at ieeexplore.ieee.org, a top accessed paper since publication)
- D. Akopian, S. Turunen, S. Pietila, H. Valio, “Acquisition of a code modulated signal,” US Patent 7,336,696. Feb. 26, 2008.
- D. Akopian, “Determination of the correlation phase between a signal and a replica sequence,” US Patent 7,286,594. Oct. 23, 2007.
- D. Akopian, H. Valio, S. Pietila, J. Syrjarinne, “Validation of beacon signals,” US Patent 7,064,708. June 20, 2006.
- D. Akopian, H. Vallio, J. Syrjarinne, “Position estimation,” US Patent 6,894,645. May 17, 2005.